Friday, July 22, 2011

Italia

Warning: There is no apostrophe on this keyboard.  Which will drive someone like me crazy, but so is life.

I can now say Ive been to Italy.  This is my third country, oh wait, fourth country (including Monaco), and things are slightly starting to run together.  The cities have the same base, but with different flavorings.  And I think, Florences flavoring is the LEATher!!  Such a treat to walk through the two big main leater markets and see colors, stlyles, finishes, bags, and jackets.  It is all so pretty!  I felt elegant just walking through such pretty bags. This was by far the most expensive day of my trip, simply because everyone in my family asked for leather wallets and they are, by nature, expensive.  So far, gifts have been of the smallish variety, and for other people.  Today that changed.  I got a georgeous light brown leather laptop bag/school bag.

The market was slightly overwhelming, and I learned quickly how to say no (thinking slightly meaner thoughts).  The vendors will get in your face and start speaking the buying/selling English words they know.  Bargaining is easy.  All you have to do is hestitate for a couple of seconds and the price will come down.  Easy peasy.  They will offer you deals.  So I took them.

The gelato and ice cream continue to be delicious.  The next time someone asks me where Im going in Italy, I know my presponse:  A pizzeria.  Seriously.  No need to specify a city.  At least, that is how Im feeling now.  Ive been surrounded by old buildings, scooters, suit-clad men, small smart cars.  Is it horrible Im getting a little used to it??  I realized today that even though the city is ... clean... it is still a dirty place with car fumes and garbage.  Its only natural for a large industrial city.  So, for the next two days, Celine and I are heading for a country escape.  Tomorrow to Siena and Sunday for a bike cruise around the country side of Florence.  I amlooking forward to it.  Seeing the country side of France, the beaches of the Cote dAzure, and the mountains of Italy told me that I am an absolute sucker for natural wonders.


This is a short one. Was able to upload pics for Rome: https://picasaweb.google.com/103328083938812409241/RomeItaly?authuser=0&feat=directlink

2 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely, loving the natural wonders. The haggling you will also find in China.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh yes. Getting some practice in now in preparation for the Jade shops =)))

    ReplyDelete