Tuesday, October 9, 2012

What Goes Around Comes Around

I first touched on the idea of composting in my Muffin Possible! post from February of this year.  Since discovering Hyde Park Community Garden, I've made quite a few trips.  Since it's a *long* walk over there, I started keeping my scrapes in a sealable, big (think twin size from Costco) empty Peanut Butter jar.   That started to fill up too fast and grew some interesting colored mold.... so to the freezer the collection went!   This prevented the bad smell from rotting veggie scraps and kept those pesky little flying bugs from taking up residence in my kitchen.  Looking at  a picture like this, I find it pretty impressive how far I've come.

Food Scrap DOMINATION!

Flip book inspired set of pictures portraying our Composting trip!!

Gloriana's Release






FREEDOM!!!
What goes around, comes around.  By going to the trouble of storing my veggie and food scrapes in the freezer and then taking them to the compost pile, I'm ensuring that the food waste is reintroduced into the cycle in the form of ... dirt!!  If my basil clippings from in.gredients successfully start growing roots, I'm going to get some soil from the compost pile and transfer my basil to a real pot! :)  Love the basil that we got last night.  It is SO fresh and flavorful.

Welcome home, Basil! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment