Thursday, February 16, 2012

Muffin Possible!

"Good luck finding a muffin recipe without eggs, Heather."  My mom's healthy criticism was part of the motivation behind the latest batch of muffins to come out of my kitchen.

I proved to myself muffins without eggs, white sugar, and margarine/butter ARE possible.  Before now, I always cringed cracking eggs and whisking them up.  It was the unknown I was afraid of...  What if they didn't cook all the way... What if I accidentally got eggshell in the mix... what if?  Carrots, apples, zucchini, and banana on the other hand- I feel completely comfortable with.  Doesn't it make sense to cook with ingredients you'd feel fine eating straight up by themselves?

Being a PRO at snacking, I've wanted to find something healthy I could easily make that would be Good, Raw, Pure, and Yummy.  You have no idea how happy I am now that I've found the first of many possibilities to come.

Enter = Healthy Moist Zucchini Carrot Apple Muffins 



Modifications for next batch:
The walnuts were sprinkled on top of the batter for this first trial.  Next time, I'll mix them into the batter.  This will prevent them from getting slightly burnt on top while the muffins cook all the way through.  It will also serve to break up some of the dense, moist, goodness at the core of the muffin.

I won't use paper muffin liners.  I only had 7 when I cooked these, and the ones that didn't have the liner came out better.  They didn't stick to the pan and came out clean with ease.  The increased surface area of direct contact with baking pan helped them cook more throughly since the batter is quite thick.

Make sure there are enough chocolate chips to go on every muffin.... so Yummy!

Muffin Production Timeline:

Raw beginning: Fruit and Vege -
Wet mix
--- ---

Coming to life!  Gradually adding in Dry Mix of
Flour, Cinnamon, etc.
  ---   ---

Variation in toppings (From left column: Choc chips,
nothing, walnut crumbs, chopped walnuts)
--- ---

Taking out the Trash of vege scraps :)  Put in a reused baggie so that it can
be taken out to the trash directly instead of stinking up my larger
garbage bag... if anyone has a use for scraps / compost,
PLEASE let me know!!  I have lots of fuel for ya!

Update: 2/23/12: Compost scrapes can de donated to most community gardens around Austin.  To see the extensive network of community gardens and to find one near you go to: http://communitygardensaustin.org/





No comments:

Post a Comment