Friday, June 10, 2011

Dunedin, FL Bound

Traveling overnight .. by myself.. for, I believe, the first time ever.  A several hour trip, bed and breakfast type room, and a really cool mission.   A step towards learning more about the sport of triathlons.  I am surprised that, with so many friends that do tris, I have never been to a race.  Sunday, I'll get to see the 6 am prep, the swim (the most intimidating to me), the transitions from the swim to bike and then from bike to run, the types of bikes people have, the whole thing.  I am pumped.

Staying overnight in Dunedin  was my only reasonable option.   Volunteers report at 5:30 am Sunday and I'm looking at ~ 2.5 hr drive from GL's in Orlando.  So.  Where to stay?  My family is a Marriott family, or, and the very rare chance there is no Marriott in the area to from my Dad's hotel points, some other very common hotel chain.  Creatures of habit lifestyle does have its perks ... always nice big, clean, well stocked rooms, with Internet, breakfast, and friendly staff.  So.  Starting my independent travel adventures in a very different fashion.  Think:  family owned, 9 units, on the beach, pet friendly, feeling slightly bad about calling at 7am and interrupting their breakfast to make a reservation, and explaining my personal travel plans to 'Sue' to try and accommodate check in/out times.   I have high hopes.  May have to give up the wifi ... but who needs wifi when you've got a beach and West FL sunset calling your name?  And, I may do a quick P90x to entertain myself / feel a little bit better about going to a race and not ... racing.  Again, I think another first.

Being such a people person, I'm excited about trying my hand at independent travel (granted.. only a drive away, to an English speaking city, with an iphone GPS and my very familiar car.  But!  You've got to start somewhere!  And ... all the people I'll meet!  I can't wait for this glimpse into this lifestyle.  Maybe I'll try my hand at openwater ocean swimming.  Already made HUGE improvements at Wekiwa Springs last weekend.  900 racers, who knows how many volunteers, family and friends, and several race directors, should be an action packed weekend.  Sunscreen, check.  Bathing suit, check.  Map of island and race course,  check.  Volunteer 'Cheerleader attitude and voice',  we'll see at 7am Sunday morning :)

Till then... HLH

No comments:

Post a Comment